Okay so Monday (I see I never posted about this) I had to have a follow up with my GP about some issue that I already knew about and during this follow up I told her I was pregnant and she ordered up a blood test for me even though my ob/gyn said she didn't need one. So I went ahead and took it on Monday 1/7.
Today the doctor's office calls me and says that my hcg levels were low and that the doctor would like me to go in for another test on Monday (why wait til Monday I have no idea). I asked what the number was.
It was 39. At 5 weeks 4 days.
Just 39. Not 39000. Not 3900. Just 39.
That's a fucking age...not an hcg level! What is wrong!!!!! I know I shouldn't freak out because stress is bad for the baby. But what does this mean???? Does it mean I have an ectopic? Does it mean I'm going to miscarry? I've had absolutely no cramping or bleeding. What the hell!!!!!
I barely made it through the last part of my work day and thoughts have been fleeting through my mind like a mad woman. How am I going to handle this AGAIN. How am I going to get out of work AGAIN withouth having anyone know. Not to mention I now have a new boss (great another one I can cry in front of). I'm trying to remain calm but I can't seem to get a grip.
I called my ob/gyn and they said to wait to take the monday test and they will go ahead and take a look at both results.
Meanwhile I've found this by searching dr. google: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html
It says for 5 weeks I can be anywhere from 18 - 7,340
but then for 6 weeks it says one can be from 1,080 - 56,500
Now how in the world is someone with let's say 18 at 5 weeks supposed to get to 1,080 in a week????? Am I not understanding this chart or something? Does anyone have any input on this??? It's supposed to double every 48 hours or something right? I did the math. At 39 I would need more than a week to get to 1,080. Then of course they say to not dwell on the actual number but rather if it's doubling properly.
And should I go ahead and wait til Monday for the next blood test? Or just take it tomorrow? What would you do?
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm so sorry that the news wasn't better, but, as you found yourself, your numbers are still within the range, for whatever comfort that may provide.
I'd go in today to get the repeat beta done. I don't think I could wait.
(((HUGS))) I'll be thinking of you today and praying for good news.
I would go in today for the repeat quant.
I am telling you that beta numbers are the worst thing to go by. They can wildly range and they are not good to use as a predictor of a pregnancy.
Seriously, it is falling within the chart you found and that is all you can go by at this point.
Hang in there. Keep us all posted!
I've read about this about as much as humanly possible, and the only definitive thing you can go by is whether or not they FALL (therefore, you need two blood draws). To ease your worries, demand another beta test now..the results should be in tomorrow. While it won't be a "pair" as in one was not taken 48 hours from the other, perhaps it will give you the reassurance you need. Don't wait for the weekend to worry about it. The general rule (repeat general) is doubling every 48 TO 72 hours. Keep in mind that 72 hours...they may not quite double in 48. As I said earlier, a sure sign that something is wrong is if they fall. Later on in the pregnancy, they take longer to double, and eventually they level off and it is normal. If you had your first blood draw on Monday, they'd typically do one on wednesday. In fact, I do NOT understand why your GP would order just one since those levels don't mean much if they are not in a pair. Meanwhile, there is no way for you to relax, so I'm not going to say it. Just pay attention to your body. Falling hormone levels will sometimes trigger some brownish spotting. If it is bad news, you may notice a disappearance of your boob tenderness. That is what I noticed when it happened to me. I hope to GOD ABOVE that everything is okay, and I'm holding my breath. Just know that we are all thinking about you fervently. If your doctor won't do one today, find another doctor ASAP.
Post a Comment