Thursday, January 10, 2008

6 Weeks...Pregnancy? What Pregnancy?

First off thank you so much everyone for your comments and advice on my last post. I really really appreciate it. I really love when even new posters post something. I welcome all advice since I'm rather new at this.

Today I had a very odd conversation with my GP. She basically said that indeed my level was 39 and that was very low and that it really doesn't register as a pregnancy. Now mind you she said this after explaining that less than 5 means a negative and less than 10 means you are menopausal. Uh okay so 39 is higher than both of those so how does that make me not pregnant (at one point in time at least).

Let's get this straight. I took 4 hpts all positive of some varying degree of darkness (or lightness if you will). I still have not had AF. I had some pregnancy symptoms and I have a hcg level of higher than 10. And my temperature has stayed high. If it sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck I would venture to say, it's a friggen duck. Am I right on this?

She started talking about me possibly having (4 - from 2 different brands - all from different batches) false positives. And that what we are dealing with is possibly not a pregnancy. I couldn't understand if she was beating around the bush and not wanting to say I miscarried or if she was trying to suggest menopause. Which at my age is highly unlikely. But I guess there's always that freak girl out there. So I asked her. And she said "oh no! Highly unlikely at your age". So what exactly do I have here I tried to ask? Or rather what do you think I have here? I know what I do have...a most likely non-viable pregnancy. But what do YOU think I have? I was quite interested. Anyways she never answered but just said that after the next blood test we will know what she will be referring me to my obgyn for. Uh, thanks but I never needed a reference since I already have an appt. 1 week from tomorrow.

I did ask her though why I need to wait til Monday and she said I didn't have to I can take it tomorrow. As some of you mentioned this will not be a pair but it will be at least something. So strange. But I guess this my friends, is why you see an obgyn for these purposes. Keep the GPs to keep generally practicing.

Anyways, to update you I am sad to report that my breasts do feel less tender...although still just a touch, but that might be the progesterone. I generally feel less pregnant today although that might be psychological but I doubt it.

My goal here is, if there is a slight chance that my blood test tomorrow does not skyrocket and throw all of us off to possibly be scheduled for a D&C (who knew my title would be such a part of my life) next Saturday. Do doctors work Saturdays? I hope so...because then I can recover over the 3 day weekend. If not I need to come up with an excuse at work to skip work and it could be ugly. Oh well. Hmmm maybe I can go with this idea of some mystery illness (since after all my gp seems to think I don't have a pregnancy). I'm going into surgery I'll say, for something; we don't know what; I don't feel sick; but there's something in me and we need to take it out. How weird.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I've ordered another $200 of progesterone just in case. Lovely. Well at least I'll have it on hand for next time. Which brings me to another topic. In case you were wondering. Yes, we haven't had enough pain yet...we are going to continue trying. Although somedays I regret even having started.

And so I'll have a lot of questions for my obgyn since we are now in the smaller percentage of 2 miscarriages. I'm hoping that this one qualifies for testing.

Meg if you're reading this, I will now be following your posts very closely; since I want to go through the same type of testing based on what they find if I do have to have a D&C.

I do know a couple of things though. 1) I will want a grilled cheese for my first meal after my d&c. I'm declaring it the official D&C food. 2) I do not plan to wait 2 months to try again. At the most one. 3) I'm going to be pounding ff.com like a fiend. And am going to make sure I get perfect scores every month trying. 4) I am going to get pregnant again. BRING IT ON. I'm ready.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

It sounds like your GP was beating around the bush and doesn't want to give you bad news.

I did not have a D&C with my miscarriage, I miscarried naturally and saw the heartbeat at 8 weeks. At 10 weeks I passed the baby at home. You can read the March/ April 2007 posts of my old blog (diaryofamiscarriage.blogspot.com)if you need more details. Anyway, after I lost the baby, my HCG levels started to decline and it took about 4 weeks to get to 5. I was told that if I took a pregnancy test it would show positive because I still had the pregnancy horomones in my body.

I am praying for you and hopeful that your bloodwork got messed up or something and you are still pregnant with a healthy baby.

Meg said...

Of course I am reading.....

This is so unfortunate and it does really sound like your doctor is just trying to wait it out for more definitive answers with regards to your beta levels. It is their protocol.

Oh girl, I am so sorry this is happening to you. This is one of the main reasons why it sucks to be able to know you are pregnant so early on...

I had a D&C with #1, was scheduled for a D&C with #2 but miscarried at home and had what I like to call a "1/2 D&C" with #2. Just make sure you tell your doc right away that you want a full pathology and full karyotyping on the tissue. Tell them way before surgery and right before surgery, if you do not stress this....they may forget and put the tissue in another type of solution...making the tissue untestable! The tissue from a D&C is much easier to reliably test than a natural miscarriage.

Okay - I am not going to talk anymore about tissue until you have more answers sweetie.

Email me if you want. I am here in the trenches with ya.

megryan_04(at)yahoo(dot)com

Fiddle1 said...

Hi sushilover,

I have a million thoughts running through my mind now. I wanted to say that your fetal age is only 4w so it is possible that your beta is low since you are so early. and I want to emphasize that we still don't have a follow up sample to compare it to. I am mad at your GP for doing one test..did she also run a progesterone level? you most certainly were/are pregnant. you haven't had a period, your beta is 39. You could have miscarried and it could have fallen to 39, but where's the bleeding? I guess it could be a chemical pregnancy, but I would have thought you'd have had a period by now. So I am baffled as well. I am so sorry about this. I am glad to see your fighting attitude. If this baby does not survive, and later when you feel up to it, try calling for a new OB..one that will let you come in the minute you have another positive and get a blood draw so that you can monitor your progress. And don't be afraid to demand some answers about this one. I am still hoping it all turns out okay. I am hoping you can get the second beta done ASAP and that it will be a higher number. I'm hoping for all of these things. I'm very sorry you have had to experience this. It is unbelievable.

As far as the D&C...I waited for a natural miscarriage, and after two weeks opted for a D&C. Then I ordered a pregnancy test online that detects HCG levels at 12.5 or greater and over the next two weeks checked to see if it was negative (it was 2 weeks after the D&C). I had a period exactly 4 weeks after my D&C. If you want these preg tests, they are at www.geodesicmeditech.com/. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know since you've been through this. I just pray that you can toss this out the window and your next post is a high HCG. I'll be thinking about you over the weekend.