Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving - the big reveal

So after making 3 homemade pies the night before (yes 3 between mr. sushinut and I) we packed up our goodies on Thanksgiving morning and made the hour trip to my brother in law's house. I dressed for the first time in all maternity clothes (although I was tempted not to) but no I told myself this has to be done sooner than later. As mr. sushinut put it...this was my coming out party and I should celebrate being pregnant. Uh okay, if you say so. So I had this all brown cute outfit I bought at a maternity department store and I felt like a huge rum ball. Yum rum balls. I wish I could have one now.

Our reveal was going to be a little segmented because obviously everyone was getting there at different times and I obviously already looked pregnant. Which was perfectly fine with me since I hate being the focus of attention anyhow. So the first person we saw was my mother in law who was at the house super early to bake the turkey. She already knew there was going to be some sort of news because my mom told her that we were going to make a big announcement and it would be the best thanksgiving ever. Gee thanks mom...way to keep a secret. She wasn't terribly surprised I was pregnant, although extremely happy. But the twins thing did blow her away (as it did everyone else). She couldn't wait til my father in law got there so we could tell him. He has been wanting grandchildren forever and none of his sons (even ones that got married before us) have given him one yet. I would say that the first miscarriage (the only one they knew about) really took a toll on him and thus was the reason we wanted to wait till after the amnio to tell them.

Next my father in law arrived (not wanting to be there early he waited at home until a little later) and told him the news too. He was overjoyed and tears were in his eyes. It was very emotional. Later the last brother was told (and obviously the other brother who's house we were at found out with my mother in law). After that it was a blur really. Everyone was pleased I was pregnant and was taken aback by the twins news as well as overjoyed that it was a boy and a girl. There was a lot of questions from my sister in laws family like do twins run in the family etc. I guess wondering if my brother and sister in law could have twins. I basically kept the answers short and sweet. Mr. sushinut talked a little more about the fertility meds I was on. And I did mention in confidence to my mother in law that this was my 5th pregnancy, explaining about the septum and other issues. I felt she should know and would understand since she had 1 miscarriage before as well. I just wanted specifically her and my father in law to know that it has been a long road but we haven't given up.

The dinner was a great success and everyone had a good time. The night was finished up with a big toast during dessert in honor of mr. sushinut and I and the sushi nuggets. I think my mother in law said it best that these were going to be the most spoiled and loved children ever :) I wonder if they know how much everyone is anxiously awaiting their arrival! Much talk was done about how everyone is going to pitch in and help, which really surprised me. As the oldest and a very independent child I've never really relied on help from family or friends and am too modest to ask for help. I think my family is used to this and assumes I do not need help but mr. sushinut's family is extremely family and team oriented which I love. Apparently plans are being made now for my mother in law to at least partially retire next year due to their arrival! Wow talk about feeling pressure. My infertile instinct was to say well let's wait to see if all goes well...but I held back...I think it's time for positive thinking now...

To say that I had much to be thankful this year is to say the least!

3 comments:

Newt said...

Oh my goodness! I'm thrilled your holiday went so well, and your family is so excited about the babies! What a wonderful gift.

Amanda said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving! Keep up the positive thinking. :-)

Fiddle1 said...

Oh, this is wonderful! I'm so glad you have crossed this threshold. Just wait for all the joy to build to a feverish pitch(and, yes the anxiety will stay, but will probably fade a bit) and enjoy every minute of it. Try your best to enjoy these moments. And those help offers will be invaluable..with little twins, you will need it!!! I'm so glad you had a wonderful holiday.