This week was a little rough. I seems I came down Tuesday with the stomach flu. At first I thought I ate something but when I called my ob the office said the stomach flu was going around. I had one day of (believe it or not) actual vomiting (although all water) and some diarrhea (sorry for the tmi) but I got thru it and took two days off from work. I feel perfectly fine now and have been trying since to drink as much liquids as possible to make up for any dehydration that occurred. Checked the heartbeats with the doppler on day two and they both still seemed to be there so I guess that's good.
I've read a lot about the flu shot and am now wondering if I should get it. I've never honestly taken it before. I pride myself on staying healthy every year by taking echinecia and golden seal and haven't had the flu (knock on wood) for about 5-6 years. While everyone at work is dying (even those who have had the shot) I continue on healthy. My fear of getting it now is that a) what if I have an allergic reaction and it affects the pregnancy (after all this being my first time I wouldn't know if I would have a reaction) and b) sort of leery as I always have been as to what is exactly in those shots. I know there's been much research on their benefit but I wonder should I risk the chance of a reaction. With my luck I'd have one. Anyone else decide not to get their flu shot? My doctor quite honestly hasn't mentioned it.
And last but not least, the amnio is on Monday. My boss came into my office on friday and gave me a nice "best of luck on monday, think positive thoughts" comment which I thought was nice. Last night I met with a close friend who I told about the pregnancy and the amnio situation. She's very excited about the pregnancy and thinks all will go well with the amnio. I'm trying to think positive too but I wonder if they a) really understand the risks or b) are just trying to not make me freak out. Probably a little of both. I've been pretty calm lately about my decision but I am not looking forward to Sunday night at all. I know already it will be a night of restless sleep.
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I have never had a flu shot in my life and am not even considering it now.
I've had a flu shot nearly every year since I turned 13 and it is amazing. Last year I skipped the shot and got the flu...let me tell you, it was awful! OB's all will tell you to get one, because as serious as the flu is when you're not pregnant, it's even more dangerous when you are. The shot will not harm you or your babies and is much better than getting the flu. Your immune system is compromised due to the growing sushi rolls, so the chances of you getting the flu is that much greater. Good luck with the amnio!!
I'm hoping and praying for you SO much that the amnio will go well. You have to start having good luck sometime, right?? :)
I would advise you to get the flu shot. Elana is right. It can be very dangerous to the babies if you get the flu. For each of my pregnancies my doctor has stressed the importance of getting a flu shot. (I had never gotten it before two years ago either.)
Many thoughts coming your way on Monday... I can imagine your level of worry and hope all in one.
I am not going to get a flu shot this year. Just not convinced I should add a random variety of whatever is in them (that likely are not the correct strain anyhow) to a 6 week pregnancy. I am in a little bubble of here.
But if I were in my second tri, I would get one.
I get a flu shot every year for close to 10 years. I've only gotten the flu once, and it was a different strain than the shot because I got it back home rather than where I lived.
It is usually recommended that women get the shot while pregnant. If you aren't allergic to eggs, you shouldn't have a reaction. However, I have heard of reactions to the flu mist, so ask your OB.
I hope the amnio goes well, I'll be thinking of you.
Post a Comment