Monday, November 10, 2008

Amnio Update

So I made it through the amnio. Now I just need to hope and pray. My appt. was today at 9a. I got there probably 15 minutes early. But we didn't see the genetic counselor until about 10a. It was a long day. I'm not sure if it was her job or if she truly was wondering why I was there but she sounded like I didn't really have much to worry about seeing my numbers even though I tested positive for the first screening test. I didn't let this stray me though. I had thought about this long and hard and I didn't want to chicken out now. What I did love about her was that she had twins 5 years ago and also had an amnio. Just the fact that there were two more twin survivors of the amnio (and 5 years ago to boot) made me feel a little better. Basically she went over the same exact things I had already read about or heard of so there really was no new info. And we continued on with the amnio.

We had the in depth ultra sound first and they were moving around like mad, even though I took careful precautions this morning to not eat a spec of sugar and only have water and dry wheat toast. But the doctor said there's often times no way around it. He said that everything looked perfect and all the important parts were there and looked well. They both were measuring right on target for 17 weeks and a few days. Oh and I guess I should mention if you've read this far...he could tell what the sex is of each :) Although not 100% until the amnio results he said the sushi nuggets are one of each. I have 1 boy and 1 girl! :) We are elated. From the beginning I had a feeling it might be one of each but lately I've been leaning more towards 2 girls. For whatever reason I've never felt it was two boys. Not sure why. But yup...those are the sushi nuggets. One of each.

So anyways we started with Baby B or the boy, because he was moving around a little less than the girl. They carefully cleaned and prepped me...I was pretty scared but tried to remain as calm as possible. This needle wasn't too bad, it hurt a little but I honestly I believe it was because he is higher up (which by the way I realize now that the boy consumes the upper part of my tummy (I was wondering why I was poofed out up there) where the little girl consumes the lower part of my abdomen (or the muffin top part)...the two have been slowly merging but not completely a round ball yet. I give it another week or two before I'm a perfect round pregnant ball, shape wise.

Anyways the boy went fine, clear fluid and all. I counted the seconds till they were done because I was so scared he would hit the needle because he was moving around a bit.

Now the girl was a little more difficult. She was kicking around like a crazy woman and I prayed and prayed she would stop. I now had my first experience of not being able to control your child. I wanted to reach in and grab hold of her. It took about 20 minutes to wait till she settled down and found a place that was clear. I couldn't look at the ultrasound during that time I was so afraid she was moving around. Not to mention this needle was by far more painful. I'm not sure if it was because my stomach was already tense from the first one or because it was closer to my lower abdomen but I could completely feel the the needle go through me and then pop through the sac. It was not comfortable to say the least. I couldn't wait till it was taken out. The doctor said I did just great though and the fluid came out clear as well.

I'm to notify both him and my ob office immediately if I spot at all or leak amniotic fluid...which should be a little difficult to tell since I've been continuously leaking urine for the past few weeks. But hopefully I'll be able to figure out the difference. My stomach feels super sensitive and sore (especially by the lower puncture) and I've just been on compulsive leak watch and hanging out watching the Kardashian marathon (nothing like smut to get your mind off your amnio).

Oh and I should mention I was all gung ho about ordering the asap FISH results until we found out they are between $300-$400 a pop and since I have two that would be times two. Mr. sushinut put his foot down and said we should put it towards the college fund. :( So I need to wait. The genetic counselor said it takes from 8-10 days...the doc said 10-14 days...I'm hoping that the generic counselor is more on target. So here's to a uneventful couple of weeks ahead.

6 comments:

Elana Kahn said...

I'm so glad the amnio went well and I hope nothing happens to make you worry. I'm also glad you're having one of each--it's what I REALLY want. :-) I already know my Baby B is a boy, but the jury is still out about Baby A (I'm thinking girl, but you never know).

Meg said...

Yay. Sounds like it went as well as it can ever go. and one of each flavor! I absolutely love that you are pregnant with twins....I have followed along with you for so long and I am just so elated! Hang in there....it will be a long wait but it will be here eventually.

Rachel said...

I am so glad it went well, hang in there until the results are here.

Congrats on a boy and a girl, that is really cool.

Oh, and SB loves the music on your blog. She is dancing right now.

Fiddle1 said...

Whew! What an experience, and thankfully it is over! I know you won't rest easy until you have your results, but at least the procedure is behind you. Meanwhile, can I just say how very excited I am for you that you have a boy and a girl!!!!!!! Wonderful!

LuckyOnce said...

Congrats on making it through! It's really cool that there's a boy and a girl too. :)

A said...

Congrats! I'm glad it went well. And you got the perfect combo - one each. Yay for you!