Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Well That Was Weird...

Ever have to discuss your intercourse pattern with a random person at your RE's? Yeah that was weird. I'll try to explain the following conversation the best I can but it's a little confusing...
But I'd love everyone's feedback, that is if you have enough patience to get to the end...

Called this morning to let them know that for sure I ovulated (my temp went up this morning)and that I need to schedule my progesterone and get a prescription for medr*l. Being the newbie that I am I was a little confused by the conversation not to mention that I felt completely strange telling a complete stranger exactly what days I've had intercourse, I can only imagine what the conversation sounded like on the other end to some patient sitting in the waiting room.

Her first question was what day did I ovulate; sounds somewhat simple enough, but as I talked to her further, she seemed to be asking when I received the "peak" sign from my fertility monitor (let the record state this was first seen on Sunday morning and then a second time on Monday morning). As I see it your "peak" day is just a warning that you will be ovulating in the next 12 - 24 hours, although I might be mistaken. I think I read somewhere in my manual that the second peak day is an extra just in case day or it might be the actual day you ovulate but obviously having the sperm waiting there is by all means more productive than trying to catch an egg that is already out there. At least I hope I've learned something in this last year from dr. google.

I would just like to take a second to acknowledge the fact that I've obviously crossed over to the "delusional infertile stage" who ponders these questions of sperm meeting egg to unhealthy proportions. How did I ever get here?

(And we're back...) I personally feel that I ovulated somewhere between Sunday afternoon and Monday before noon. And said sperm was already hanging out ready for said egg. And so intercourse on Saturday and Sunday is perfectly acceptable as prime fertility days right? But then she kept asking if I had intercourse last night, to which I said no (mr. sushinut has been so tired from his job that he flat out put his foot down to 3 nights in a row - I know I should have persisted but to be honest I was tired too - oh the joys of sex on demand). The person at my RE's just paused for quite awhile and repeated..."So you didn't have intercourse last night?" like it was ridiculous that I didn't. Honestly I think by last night it was game over...with the egg and for us as well. Now I'm feeling like I let my RE's office down and that maybe I should have. And maybe, just maybe I incorrectly judged and that I missed the boat, or rather the egg in this happenstance. But doesn't sperm stay alive for at least 24 hours? I feel like such a loser that I have this RE that is doing everything in his power to get me pregnant and that I'm not holding up my own end of the bargain by being a A+ student in the school of sex on demand. But in my mind when I was contemplating this whole thing yesterday and thinking about giving poor mr. sushinut a night off (and trust me I did think about this all day yesterday) it seemed perfectly reasonable that I most likely ovulated sometime during the day on Sunday (I felt major ovulation pain around the afternoon) and that I had intercourse on both Sat. night and Sunday night. I guess at this point there's no reason for crying over 'spilt sex' if you will but nonetheless I am still making myself crazy over this.

Anyways for whatever reason my RE gave specific instructions that I take a progesterone test 7 days after "intercourse" (which time I want to know?) and not necessarily "as soon as I ovulate" (which I thought was strange in itself since ovulation is more of a starting point than random intercourse) and so my progesterone test is scheduled for next monday. And I'm to pick up my perscription of Medr*l today. Now I'm freaking out that I should have started this yesterday but I didn't feel comfortable saying that I ovulated and then my temp doesn't go up and I really didn't. Because you just know that would have happened.

So what does everyone think? Do I have a chance in hell at getting pregnant this month?

Okay I'm going to need to stop now because I'm sounding like a crazy person. Oye. It's like those recipes that you are asked to mix the dry ingredients prior and then slowly mix in the wet. To which I've always failed at and mix everything together all at once. Crap. So basically I suck at cooking...AND fertility. Wonderful.

Last but not least, Just wanted to throw out one last thank you to everyone who piped in with well wishes about my sudden good news about lack of septum and medr*l info as well. I really appreciate it!

Wow if I'm this random in my posts before the steroids I wonder what it will be like after. Lovely.

p.s. If it counts for anything, I've been feeling twingy all morning long. Discuss amongst yourselves.

thanks

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Sorry, I'm clueless on this topic.

Newt said...

I think your intercourse was timed perfectly. I don't know why the RE's office has such a prurient and bizarre interest in your sex life, but that's clearly their own problem.

The sperm can live up to 5 days, so you had some nice fresh ones in there. No worries.

Dr. Grumbles said...

That is an odd bunch of talk from teh RE's office, but yes the Peak means ovulation is coming, usually the next day.

Hope the twinginess is a good sign!

Fiddle1 said...

You know what I've just discovered? And how timely your post is? It is that doctors obviously don't consult Dr. Google, and they don't read "taking charge of your fertility." Your timing was perfect. If you search the endless pregnancy charts on fertilityfriend, you'll see that. What did FF.com score you at? ARe you still charting even with your fertility monitor? I dont' even know why the progesterone check would be timed by intercourse. Progesterone levels are a reflection of the "strength" of ovulation, if that makes sense. I just had my obgyn friend tell me that today after I had a complete meltdown. You see, I got a BFP on Sunday night, 10 DPO, and went in for a beta and prog check on 11 DPO at 9:30 a.m. Those numbers came back as 57 (HCG) and 22 (progesterone), which I thought was pretty good. But the nurse frowned and said my HCG was low. I just had my 48 hour draw today and will get the results tomorrow. I tried to show her my chart and whe wouldn't even look at it! She tried to tell me that I could have ovulated several days before my temp rise and that I've been pregnant for 7 days (at 11 DPO????) and they'd like to see it higher. And b/c of her stupid remarks, I've lost all my confidence. I realize that confidence has no affect on the outcome of this pregnancy, but I'd still like some for peace of mind. At least I'll know tomorrow if it doubled. So, anyway, the point of my post is, do NOT, if possible, let anything they say, any pause you hear, or any inflection in their voice, shatter your confidence. I know that it is hard, but you know your body better than anyone else, and you know your cycle better too. Good luck during your 2WW.

Sushilover said...

Thanks so much Fiddle for your comment (and everyone else too!). This is what I thought (still waiting to see what FF.com scored me as, sometimes it takes two days of high temps for them to give me an overall score). Because I am overly anal I temp, use the fertility monitor AND chart. I like to know where I'm at, at all times you could say. I know deep down it's easy to say listen to your gut feeling (I know in my gut I ovulated sometime between Sunday and maybe prior to noon on Monday and that Monday night intercourse would have been missing the boat.) But the guilt creeps in and you feel that you didn't go above and beyond. Best of luck with your numbers (I've been down that path as well). I'll be thinking nice high number thoughts for you!