All I can say is this day kicked my ass...seriously.
I am so glad that it will be over soon.
So this morning I get up at the crack of dawn because it's 7 days post ovulation or as my RE likes to refer to it 7 days post intercourse... whatever.
So, I need to take my progesterone test. So I haul down to dr. frozen embryo's at the crack of dawn in hopes of getting back to the office at a decent time.
I get in there and after several tries the nurse can't get blood out of me. Hmmm weird, my veins are pretty difficult (especially with the extra fat packed on me these days) but never really a true issue. She then calls in the "expert" of the office (you know they always have one of those) and she can't even find anything. They chalk it up to me being dehydrated since I hadn't had anything to eat or drink yet and that's why my veins aren't popping. Which seems rather odd to me because back in the day prior to ttc I had to go for regular cholesterol checks due to genetic cholesterol issues I have and I would have to fast and not drink anything before my tests...so how did they get the big ol' tubes of blood out of me for that?
Anyhow finally she had to eek it out of me through my vein in the back of my hand. I asked what was the difference and she said less blood and more painful for me. And she kept asking if I was okay. Honestly it didn't hurt any more if at all. Of course I didn't say that...these days I'll take all the sympathy I can.
So now that I've got little pieces of cotton with tape over both arms and one hand, I think...people at the office are never going to believe I was at Physical Therapy (my made up excuse that I've used throughout my infertility testing extravaganza), unless of course I've been shooting up at my P.T.'s office. So I call in to my coordinator to let him know that I've had to "give blood" (general dr. appt. blood) today and am running a little late. And with all the cotton stuck to me, I would assume he had no doubt.
One of my friends did ask if I was leaking by chance when he saw all of my cotton. Ha ha, little do you know I'm sure that's coming down the pike.
And yes I was right...so late in the day I get my test results back.
7
Hell I could have told you that. It was 7 when I had it tested before. So since the office is looking for like 10 (I think 20 would actually be better don't you?) they were going to prescribe me Prometrium. And here my friends is where the fun begins...and no I don't mean the side effects.
So I get the call 10 minutes to 5p, but I'm not in my office by my cell phone, I'm in a weekly monday meeting that as usual runs far too long. My RE's office closes at 5p and the nurse leaves a lengthy message about calling her back before they close (in 10 minutes?) but if I don't get to in time she'll fax in my prescription to the only place she knows that carries it which is, you got it clear across 3 cities right by their office. Well friggen crap I was just there this morning! And here's the clincher...the pharmacy closes at 6:30p.
So I'm sitting at my desk looking at the clock with a horrified expression. It's 5:55p. Fuck! I wonder if I can haul ass out of my office in major rush hour L.A. traffic and get there in time? Would I be able to call them and ask them to stay like my other pharmacy? Would they be that nice? Something told me no. So I decide to risk it and go. I now run out of the office telling my staff that I need to pick up something from a pharmacy that is about to close and will be "right" back. They nod in agreement with bewilderment. Yeah trust me you don't want to know.
Assuming that I might be possibly saving my "possible" unborn child by merely taking this pill tonight rather than in the morning I feel every second counts...I drive like a bat out of hell (as much as one can drive like a bat out of hell in L.A. traffic at 6p on a monday) towards the pharmacy. Meanwhile I'm on my cell checking with them just to make sure they do in fact have the prescription and it would be ready. After a little confusion they assure me yes it's ready.
Long story short I wasn't going to make it. The traffic was way too heavy and I was about 10 minutes away once 6:30p hit so I called them again, begging them to stay open...they said they couldn't but they could put the order through over the phone and then I could knock on the door when I got there and they would hand it to me so could I please give them a credit card. So yup you got it right. Flying like a bat out of hell, talking on the cell phone, while handling a credit card reading my number over the phone to the man on the other line. What a bunch of bastards I tell you...If I didn't get a ticket for this I would certainly have gotten in a truly ugly car accident. Nice thing to ask of a possibly pregnant women eh? Yes by all means risk your life to give us your credit card number. Oh and don't forget the 3 digits in the back of the card mam. Bastards I say.
So it all works out when I get there and they hand me the package. The man stares into my eyes and says "Take 1 daily VAGINALLY" Use finger. Uh okay, I think I know what he means. Hmm that's funny I thought my doctor said to take it orally. Oh well I'll figure it out later. Whatever it takes. I was just happy that the stuff only cost me $20.
And so now I'm driving back to work at 7p at night to finish the work that I left behind, which was a real bummer. Until I started looking up stuff on dr. google when I get home. After hours of research and playing over the nurses message I'm thoroughly confused. Nurse says to take by mouth...bastard pharmacist says to take vaginally. How could could this be? Isn't it plain and simple? Either or???? WTF? By the way...the pharmacist has written absolutely no instructions on the bottle. The pill actually looks like a capsule and it says it contains "powder" in it. It looks like it contains powder too. I weigh my options and wonder which would be more harmful to me if I chose the wrong one? Or should I wait til tomorrow morning call the nurse and then take it? And possibly jeopardize my possible pregnancy (every second counts!...chanting in the background). After by far the most informative information on Stirrup Queen's blog I decide to go with orally, because...1) if you had a choice wouldn't you too? 2) less chance of infection and 3) I heard it knocks you out. And I'm all for a pro-pregnancy sleeping pill whenever I can take it.
And so I took it. And now I'm feeling tired. So either I'll wake up tomorrow and give you an update (I plan on calling the nurse in the morning to straighten this whole mess out) or I'll be dead from incorrectly medicating myself. But rest assured there will be no goop in my girly parts. And if you're dead wouldn't that be nice to not be remembered by?
On that note...more to come...tomorrow. I'm exhausted.
Night.
Monday, April 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh gosh, what a day! I'm glad you got the pills,and I think you made the right call on the oral thing.
Hope today is a lot easier!
Wow, what a day. I hope you slept well and are able to figure things out today.
I think you're the third person I know who had the orally v. vaginally debate with these things in the past couple of weeks. One would think it would be clearer, but it never seems to be. I hope you reach them today and find out for sure. And I hope today is a much easier day!
Prometrium made me very sleepy.
Good luck with it, wherever it goes!
not sure i should post and confuse the issue further..i'm sure what you did was fine, but I took them vaginally. I guess it depends on how it is compounded. But I remember reading somewhere that it gets to where it needs to a little better vaginally (doesn't have to go thru the digestive tract). Can't remember where I read that, though. sorry. hopefully you'll get the nurse to clarify tomorrow. hang in there!
Post a Comment