Monday, July 14, 2008

You Want Me To What??????

Uh...so much for not doing injectables...on my own that is. What my Dr.'s office meant by "come in for an injection" was really, let us take an ultra sound, give you an injectable class and send you off with $400 worth of needles to inject yourself with this week.

Again...how did I get here?

Naively, I headed, rather chipper, in to my RE's office this morning, thinking that I'd get a nice big fat shot and wait to try again. WRONG. What I really found out shortly after arriving was that the plan was actually to start me on F*llistim injectables tonight. I went in, was given an ultrasound by Dr. Frozen Embryo who kindly told me that both ovaries looked "perfect" (um thanks...I think) and explained in a nut shell that although I'm obviously fertile, fertile isn't what counts here...bringing a live baby home is what counts. Well I'm glad we are on the same page with that one. He was very sensitive in acknowledging that it was basically another miscarriage. Which I very much appreciate, rather than my GP who with the second miscarriage was baffled by my falling betas and was basically like, "umm well you're not pregnant, but you're not not pregnant...we need more blood tests to figure this one out." By the way more to come on this storyline later.

A half hour later I was in a room with the nurse with her going through my injectables training and me just nodding my head and responding in a vague uh huh, uh huh, stupor.

Again...how did I get here?

An hour later I had my meds and needles in a neat little pharmacy bag with an ice pack to keep things cool and $400 ($700 if you count the ultra sound and blood work taken back at mr. frozen embryo's) less in my pocket.

I raced back to my office and shoved the packages below my pasta salad in my personal fridge that I have behind my desk, and secretly thanked God that I had the smarts enough a few months back to purchase the personal fridge - can you imagine having to store that stuff in the shared office kitchen fridge?

So tonight was my first injection. I read the entire instruction manual cover to cover plus the cheat sheets the nurse gave me along with making mr. sushinut read the entire manual. It comes with this pen like devise that you load everything in and push a simple button to inject (sort of like training wheels for the beginner infertile) but I wanted to be sure that we did everything right.

Mr. Sushinut will continue to give me the injections (because I'm a big fat wimp) for the rest of the week until Friday when I need to go in again for another ultra sound to see how those eggs are coming along. I was prescribed 150 iu's to start off with so that nothing crazy happens. Well except maybe conception that is.

So here I am...zero to 60 in just a matter of a day.
I'm sure I'm going to wake up tomorrow and think it's all a dream.

Oh and on the GP end you might recall last January when I went in to my GP to have my annual physical and she insisted on taking a beta when I told her I just found out I was pregnant. Again, that was January. Flash forward 7 months and I just receive in the mail this weekend a letter stating that she is referring me to some random person in a city hours away from me with a diagnosis of PCOS. ????? To my great confusion of course considering the woman barely took a look at my body in general for the whole physical and will not under any circumstances look under the hood if you know what I mean. So I'm not sure how she came to that conclusion except that maybe she's using that diagnosis to get me in with the covered fertility insurance coverage. Which I believe is very limited anyhow. I was going to call today to find out what that note was all about and why in the world did it show up 7 months later (can you imagine if I had gotten pregnant right after and would almost be full term right now with a pregnancy? That would be a serious hoot), except that I got all caught up in this mini injectables cycle and lost every train of thought I had this morning. Although I'm sure I'll still be left to my on devices on coverage I plan to follow up tomorrow. More to come on this.

4 comments:

MommaLove said...

Good luck with the shots! Are you doing an IUI or just taking hormones? I am going through the same thing with multiple losses but will move onto IVF in Sept.

Anonymous said...

I am just getting caught up on your posts, and let me just say, how sorry I am! I have had 4 losses, too. It is a hard number to wrap your brain around, isn't it? I'm so sorry. I hope your next cycle is better. Is this your first IVF? Maybe weeding out all the crap (but cute, cuz they're yours) embryos will do it for you! That's what I'm hoping!!!

Rebeccah said...

I'm really sorry about your recent loss. Chemical pregnancies just suck. As for the shots, well, they get easier with time.

Sanan said...

I am so sorry about things working not right this time. I also hope that the shots get easier with time.