Today at 8:30a was my HSG appointment.
Again so terribly nervous, but I got over it. Deep down I really thought I would be okay with this and it wouldn't be so bad, but on Sunday night I started second guessing myself. Luckily it was early in the morning so I could get it over with right away.
The doctor's office only offered valet parking. But the office validated. I should say so...for $350 they better be paying for my parking.
I was there right before 8:15a just as they asked me to. As others had written and recommended, I had taken 3 ibuprofen last night and 3 more about an hour prior to when I thought I would be starting the procedure. I have to say I think this helped incredibly. I highly recommend it.
The office was very nice and everything seemed to run like clockwork. I was seen right on time with no waiting necessary. Well deserved I say for being a cash patient. When they finally took me into the actual procedure room I was very much taken aback by the space. It was more like an Operating Room than a regular room. I guess I was expecting a pap smear environment. There was a very long table in the middle with a ton of what seemed like high tech equipment around and lots of tv screens. Just a tad intimidating. The nurses were all exceptionally nice though and explained in great detail what was going to happen with diagrams and what not.
In addition to this... for $350 I was also given the chance to pick my very own music selection from a random arrangement of cds. There was everything from Jazz to Hip Hop. I seriously did not think this was a hip hop type of procedure. I wanted to ask the nurse what was appropriate for dye being shot up your tubes...but I refrained.
I chose Fleetwood.Mac, which I haven't listened to in forever and in the middle of the procedure, my all time favorite song, when I was 17, started playing... "Everywhere". (For those that don't mute, I've added it to my blog playlist for your listening pleasure). I remember loving this song because it sounded so magical and happy. Little did I know that almost 10 years later I would be listening to this same exact song during a fertility procedure. I would have never guessed in a 100 years.
The procedure itself from start of orientation to explanation was about 40 minutes. The actual procedure probably only about 20. The rest was washing up, prepping and I guess picking out music.
Overall the best I can describe it as was a rather lengthy pap smear with a bunch of xray machines moving around your pelvic area during the time of the procedure.
The doctor was exceptionally great at explaining exactly what was happening and when I could tell him I was feeling uncomfortable and when he could adjust things to help lessen the uncomfortableness. The nurses were extremely attentive and kept checking on me.
I felt a twinge of cramping at the beginning when the dye started going in but honestly their (the doctors and nurses) banter about last nights Oscars, kept me preoccupied. They loved the joke about J. Nicholson...and cracked up when I said that maybe that's what I need to get pregnant, Jack. No offense to my husband of course...yahoo results are not in yet. We all agreed that IVF would be absolutely necessary...no offense to Jack but he's not the young chicken he once was.
Also with my $350 came a handy dandy souvenir. A CD of my pics during the procedure. Not sure if it's got my choice of music soundtrack but wouldn't that be awesome if they did do that. Sort of like when you get married and the video company hands you a disc of the main event. Hmmm. I can just picture it now amongst my wedding video montage, nice touch...I'm sure the inlaws would love to see it. Nothing like capturing life's special moments on film I say. No matter what they may be.
Anyhoos, you might be wondering if I'll ever get to the point of what the outcome was. Well as a matter of fact, in addition, my $350 got me instantaneous results (well worth the money in my book, since I'm so damn impatient) as soon as it was over they sat me up and we all watched the big plasma screens as the doctor went through explaining all my parts. My uterus (incredibly small, probably the only petite thing on my body...besides my wrists that is...I've always had small dainty wrists), my tubes...so tiny they look just like fine hairs. But all in all a very good outcome. The doctor said he was pleased with what he saw and there was absolutely no septum and no blocked tubes and no polyps. Hooray and Damn. That's the best I can put it. Part of me was happy and the other part was frustrated. What the hell could it be? Could it be just bad luck? I'm still waiting on the other test results so I guess we'll have to wait and see. I think they should be in soon and I'm getting ready to pester Dr. Frozen if he doesn't call this week.
Anyways all in all it was an okay procedure. Don't get me wrong it was no walk in the park being spread eagle while people were shoving dye up my privates but all in all not terrible. And for the peace of mind...well worth it.
So there you have it...one more piece of the puzzle added...no answers yet.
Paid valet, beautiful doctors office, no waiting, music of your choice while getting an HSG and commentary on the Oscars...$350
Finding out why you can't carry a baby to term....priceless.
Happy Monday.
Monday, February 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm glad the procedure wasn't too painful. And while I know it sucks to be no closer to an answer as to what caused your miscarriages, the diagnoses/answers that come out of an HSG can often leave you with more questions and difficult decisions to make. And there's something to be said for avoiding that.
I hope the bloodwork and other tests come back with some simple answers, ideally the kind with easy solutions.
I am glad you came through your procedure well.
I'm glad the procedure went well and I am sorry you don't have the answers you wanted yet. Hopefully you will find out soon.
Post a Comment