(Fair warning - this post is rather shallow)
So with all this baby talk I've really not touched on how I'M doing following this successful pregnancy. I'm so happy that thankfully (knock on wood) all is fine with my nuggets and they are growing and thriving. As for me I've been blessed with the ability to easily go down about 15 pounds less than my pre-pregnancy weight. Of course what you call "pre pregnancy weight" is questionable. Was that this pregnancy? Or the last 4? Friends and people that know me have noticed. "Wow, you've really lost a lot of weight. Seriously... a lot" they say. All I say is yes thanks. I mean I'm still no skinny minnie to say the least since I'm still over weight. But it was nice to lose all that so quickly. I couldn't believe my own eyes when they weighed me at my first post op appt. But low and behold I had lost 30 pounds already. Whoo hoo! Also all my swelling has gone down and my foot issues have all disappeared thankfully. But now a new issue. I knew this could happen but I guess it's so surprising how quickly it started and is increasing. I'm losing my hair...I mean A LOT of hair. I know it's all just extra hair that grew and didn't fall blah blah blah blah. But seriously...with my borderline lupus issue I already had thin hair to begin with. If this continues I just may be bald. I mean I've heard of wash and go hair styles but this is ridiculous! My hair is rather long but I really can't cut it short like some women because of this really retarded bell shape my hair falls into. I had the "Dorthy H@mel" cut for years as a kid and trust me it did nothing for me. I'm continuing my prenatal vitamins and even including extra iron since I had been bleeding for such a long time (more on that fabulous topic some other time). But still to no avail every morning I lose more and more.
So my question to all of you moms who have gone through this is how long does this process take? And when will it stop???? I know there are bigger things to worry about and hate to seem shallow but seriously it's so depressing. I go back to work in 3 weeks and am afraid to even get my hair colored in fear that the chemicals will just make the remaining hair fall out! Eeek! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I have no advice, as my twins are 10 months old and I'm still losing hair. I'm going to try getting a trimmed to see if that will help, but I don't know.
I do know that my husband is sick of finding my hair every where.
Oh yuck. That part is NO fun. I'm sorry it's hitting you so hard. I can't really say anything to make you feel better, although it doesn't last FOREVER. I vividly remember having "bangs" for a while when my normal amount of hair was growing back in. My hair is totally normal now (but my son is turning 2 this week!)
Have you Googled it? Everything I know, I learned from Dr. Google. :)
Sorry to hear your hair issue...and its not shallow..its part of a normal concern. I have no sage advice! I had the opposite problem with prenatals making my hair grow like Rapunzel. Good luck!
Like you, I'm conscious about my hair anyway, due to thyroid issues, so I understand the paranoia:-(
After having my son, I lost hair at the 3 month mark, and again, another phase at the 6 month mark. It really is distressing.
Glad to hear your preggo weight is all gone!!
Splurge, just once, on a haircut at an expensive salon with a highly-trained stylist. A really good stylist will know how to shape your hair so that it will be manageable AND will look good while a bunch of it is falling out. More importantly, they will be able to give you a style that will help once the "baby hair" starts awkwardly growing in again around your face, around 6-8 months postpartum.
By 6 months, my hair was horribly thin, and I had this ridiculous halo of short hair growing back along my hairline. One quality haircut later and I'm no longer wearing my hair in a pony tail every single day, and I get constant compliments on my hair. Make an appointment, tell them you're postpartum, and they'll know what to do. Totally worth it.
Mine started falling out at 3 months post-partum. The quantities were astounding. It stopped for me around 6 months. At 10 months, it feels about as thick as it was pre-baby.
The hair everywhere problem was awful. As for the appearance part, I just lived with bad hair. Nicky's advice is probably best though -- a good stylist should be able to help.
My boys are 14 weeks and I'm still losing hair. It's normal.
I think when I run my fingers through my hair and my hand comes out looking like a giant fur ball that people think its related to the cancer, which just makes me even more self conscious about it, so I tend to keep it pulled back all the time.
Post a Comment