...or you could insert "wine" too. I definitely need a drink.
I think it's week 5...could be week 6 but I think that's just wishful thinking.
Here's where I am now. Mr. Sushinut has returned to work at least 4 days a week. Three weekdays and Saturdays. When he does work I do all the night feedings because he is a doctor and does surgeries and such that could cause great pain or malpractice suits if he messes up on someone. And therefore I insist that I take one for the team and stay up for all night feedings.
I AM SO FRIGGEN TIRED.
Please, please, please God...make these kids sleep for more than 2.5 hours straight soon! I can't take this much longer. I was going to ask my pediatrician if there was anything I could do to umm...speed up this process but was to chicken, less I be reprimanded for selfishly wanting to sleep in exchange for my children's healthy growth. Okay okay I get it...at this age they need food...like every friggen five minutes. But couldn't God have made it so they could at least hold their own bottle by now? I know they are only 5 weeks old (and 3 weeks early to boot) but it feels like it's been FOREVER since I gave birth. I feel like I should be taking them to the DMV for their Driver's License already for Christ's sake. Not to mention my greatest fear has come true. It seems that both nuggets have been blessed with major gas issues and reflux. Shoot me now.
We've tried 3 different formulas and are now just using the one that causes the least amount of grief...yet still grief. I did slyly ask the doc about putting rice cereal in their formula at night (you know to get them to sleep longer - blaming it on my mother and mother in law that insists is what you are supposed to do to get them to sleep longer...and what happened? Totally shot down. I didn't even believe her so I went to dr. google and he said the same thing...NOT BEFORE 4 MONTHS. Crap, crap, crap. So I'm on to that formula Enfamil AR business now. Wish me luck. Mr. sushinut has suggested we go for the ol' shot of Bourbon if something doesn't give soon. Feel free to offer magical life saving advice.
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Oh, you poor thing. I couldn't function if my DH wasn't there beside me, feeding the other babe, at least a couple times a night. Truth be told, we are down to three feedings at night - 12, 3, and 6 (If I *prefer* to sleep until 8, then I can count 6am as night, right?) Anyway, I don't know how you do it!
Unfortunately, I do not know the name of that multiples thing we're getting. I mailed in the form and did not keep a copy - however, I will definitely let you know if the name is on the cases when they arrive. I'm afraid it might have been affiliated with Similac, so it may not work for you. Perhaps your pediatrician's office has a similar program with their Enfamil rep?
My mom said she started using the rice trick on me at 6 weeks, and I slept through the night and woke up happy. But....what if THAT is the reason I now struggle with my weight?! Good luck finding what's right for you.
P.S. You can totally take your little nuggets out. The secret is to sedate them with their regular dose of formula and then make a run for it!
Sending you many sleepy vibes! It will happen one day and then I predict you are up all night anyways worrying why they did not wake up. Well, maybe not. But that is what I would do I am sure. It never seems to end.
You will sleep in 20 years.
I am sorry it is so rough right now. You can do this. You will get through this. Repeat.
Don't be too chicken to ask the doc anything. No one is more experienced with new parents than pediatricians. They have heard it all. No parent of multiples would ever be accused of being selfinsh for trying to find a way to get more sleep.
Never shy away from asking the doc questions, that is why you pay her. I feel for you, I remember how tired I was with just one. With 2 I imagine the feedings take twice as long. About 7 weeks LG started sleeping longer and he was 2 weeks early.
It was so hard, it was. For us, it didn't get better until they were 3 months old. It was rough, because I went back to work when they were 8 weeks old.
We did a lot of bottle propping and feedings in the bed in a boppy pillow. I know bad mom, but twins are so much more different then having a singleton.
All three of my kids have reflux. Have they put your twins on any meds yet? Mine have been on prevacid since they were a month old, and that definitely helped.
I "only" have the one, but a few generic hints and suggestions:
1. According to many experts, crying and sleeplessness peaks right around 6 weeks, then gradually gets better over the next 6. So, you're in that bad trough right now, but it will start getting better very very soon. Promise.
2. Sadly, research shows that putting cereal in a bottle really can mess people up for life in terms of eating appropriate quantities, feeling full, etc. Have you tried cluster feeding? Feeding them as often as you can manage in the early evening, stuffing them full of milk before putting them down for the night?
3. Maybe you're already doing this, but have them sleep at an angle. Helps with the reflux. Car seat, swing, anything that gets their head slightly higher than their feet. If they're in cribs, try phone books under two of the legs to prop the whole thing up. Might make them more comfortable.
It's a little-talked-about fact that the first two months or so suck for all new mothers. The exhaustion is unbelievable. But it WILL get better soon.
I have no help, except that you're not alone. The first 11 weeks were hell on wheels, and we just had one, and my DH didn't have to do any surgeries.
What finally made things better were just 1. time, and 2. daycare. I still send the boy off to daycare and then sleep another two to three hours every single day to make up the sleep debt of the last four months. Then I can get to work with a clear head. It's heaven.
I've heard of "night nurses," especially for twins. Any chance you could get some professional help, so you can get some sleep? I firmly believe that couples were never meant to deal with screaming babies all alone. It takes a village and whatnot, so if you don't have an army of relatives at the ready, then don't feel guilty about hiring your village. It's worth any expense.
There's no easy way to get through the first little while. Oof. They're tough. I second the suggestion about seeing if they'll sleep in their carseats. My son had reflux and was on Zantac for it. He slept in his carseat for literally the first 5 months of his life. I had visions of needing to find a really huge carseat to send off with him to his college dorm room... I hope it gets better soon! It's really tough, but you're doing a great job.
Hi Sushilover,
Hope things settle down for you soon.
I'm a physician and former faculty member at Harvard and Stanford Medical Schools. I discovered your blog while looking for the best health writers on the web. I reviewed your posts, and think your writing would be a great addition to the Pregnancy & Fertility Community on Wellsphere, a top 5 health website that has nearly 5 million visitors monthly. If you would like to learn more about how you can join our Health Blogger Network, republish your blog posts and be featured on the Wellsphere platform, just drop me an email at dr.rutledge@wellsphere.com.
Cheers,
Geoff
Post a Comment