First off Happy Mother's Day to all those new infertiles who happen to be celebrating their very first Mother's Day like me. Is it as weird for you as it is for me? I still feel like this is a bizarre dream. And of course to all others out there in our blog land whether you are a first time mom or second time etc. or still trying and will be one some day! It was just a year ago this month that I was mourning yet my 3rd miscarriage and I can't believe this day has finally come.
So today I had the very best gift ever. Mr. Sushinut gave me 9 blissful hours of sleep from 1a to 10a! Pure heaven! Then we packed up the nuggets and went to a great lunch at our favorite Chinese restaurant with the family. I received many bouquets of flowers. Great cute cards (one of which included 1 free night of babysitting from my brother and sister in law - whooohoo!) and an awesome blender/food processor from the nuggets in exceptionally beautiful department store gift wrap (I assume that was the girl nuggets doing since I expect her to be a shopper like me). Oh and I forgot too, finally a wonderful back massage from mr. sushinut while I lay on my stomach (it's been forever since I could do that due to the pregnancy).
Thank you so much for your great advice for my sleepless nights (and days). My favorite comment of all was from "She" who talked about sending her son to college in a great big car seat. That cracked me up! I have been using the car seats and it does help, especially with girl nugget since she has the reflux a little worse than her brother. I just feel so bad that they sleep in their car seats instead of their cozy little bassinets sometimes but as mr. sushinut points out it's for a purpose...not like I'm too lazy and just keep them in their seats after a day of shopping or something.
Ironically after I posted, they started sleeping for 3-4 hours at a time at night. I think it was due to 2 reasons. One being that on that day they seemed especially hungry during the day (at one point it seemed like they were eating almost every hour!) So I was like "okay, you nuggets are on!" "I can feed you into you pop if you'd like". And so I did. I think they were so full by night time they didn't need to eat as much. Also I started using that Enfamil AR formula at night. It did help the reflux and it seemed to keep them satisfied for longer. Although mr. sushinut thinks it's just a coincidence. So I didn't pick up any more and tonight I'm going with just the regular gentle ease formula and low and behold they only are sleeping for 2.5 hours a stretch again. I don't care what mr. sushinut says...I'm hauling butt to Target and buying more of that AR formula again. I know it probably isn't as good for the gas issues but it works for the reflux and I think using it only at night will solve any issues with constipation (since I was warned that this could happen) which might occur by using it all the time.
If you're wondering what happened to good ol' breast feeding, like some new twins moms I've basically thrown in the towel too. It saddens me that I couldn't breast feed them exclusively but there's only so much time in the day. And with my mother in law not being the support we originally anticipated it just made it too difficult. Right now I am pumping about 2x per day (and get very little from each pumping) and sometimes will breast feed boy nugget in addition to his formula. Girl nugget is clueless on how to breast feed nor has the patience.
I haven't asked the dr. yet for any medication for them because I wouldn't say it's terrible terrible like I've heard other babies have it and so I don't want to be quick to jump to the meds just yet. But if it continues to be a problem or gets worse I will need to.
I have inclined their bassinet mattresses a bit and by doing so girl nugget tends to roll to the side and either ram her face into the side of the batting, causing me to freak out about sids or to scare the crap out of her and have her suddenly wail. I think I've rectified this by rolling two blankets by each side of her to lock her in. Hopefully this will work.
As for the night nurse, boy would we absolutely love that. Unfortunately they are way too expensive not to mention it sort of freaks me out to have someone in our house at night while we sleep and watching them. I know...if I were really tired I wouldn't care right? I'm just afraid I'd be to worried that I wouldn't sleep anyways.
But I am checking into a nanny that is looking for some evening and weekend hours. She was referred to me by someone in my twins club. So hopefully that will work out and I can have some hours to myself here and there.
I have some great mother's day photos and new photos of the Nugs but my shift to 4a is now over and the hell if I'm going to take precious sleep time to find my camera and upload those puppies. So you'll have to tune in again to see the pics. :) Stay tuned!
Monday, May 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
We used the rolled up towels in their bassinet for a good month.
If you don't like inclining the bassinet, they have a crib positioner thing that you put the baby on and it keeps them from rolling from side to side and elevated. We used one with all three of the kiddos when they were smaller.
Mother's Day was definitely surreal for me too. I'm still breastfeeding during the day, but sometimes the twins will each nurse for an hour and then be hungry an hour later...which translates to no time to do anything else (that means no eating or going to the bathroom for me) lol
Happy Mother's Day! :) I'm so glad you can celebrate this year!! Good luck with the gas and the reflux. I know a few people who swore by Enfamil A.R. Whatever works for you and gets you some sleep is the best plan. Are you signed up on the Enfamil website? They send free samples and coupons... :)
It is great to read about mommies who celebrate after such a difficult time in their lives. Congrats on the twins! Wishing you blessings upon blessings! ;)
Post a Comment