Ah a few quite moments to update my lonely blog...let's see if I can actually have time to get through a post.
So, what's it like now with the nuggets and being a family of 4...you might wonder? Well it's hard. It's amazing. It often brings me to tears (good tears that is) when I remember back to all that I've gone through to get to this point. And believe me I've been thinking more and more of my journey here, especially during these late night hours. I've always told myself that even in the latest of late hours, staying up and rocking a nugget to sleep in hopes to get a few moments of sleep myself I would never forget the road here. And I can honestly say I've kept my promise. I am forever grateful that things worked out and I have these wonderful little beings. I still can't believe they're actually here when I stare at their little faces, hands and feet.
But let's move past that sappiness for a second shall we? So...some might be wondering...what's it really like with two nuggets and an instant family of 4? Well I think I've been just trying to take it day by day, week by week. So I'll give a little update right now. (The birth story is in the works - hopefully I can post it before they go to college).
Week 1: The delivery
More detail on this later. But basically mr. sushinut and I affectionately refer to this time as baby boot camp. Being in a small private hospital room with 2 newborns and a husband plus the constant medical and visitor interruption seriously tested our patience. But nevertheless we survived and flourished. The little nuggets unfortunately were tested positive with Jaundice so at about day 2 we had to toss breast feeding out the window at least for the time being in order to flush out their systems as quickly as possible, meaning bring in the formula. I think I'm still paying for that since I have very limited milk supply but the important thing here is that we did get the jaundice down and they went home nice and healthy. The first couple of days were super painful as I tried to recover from my ginormous uterus trying to push itself back into it's pie-hole original location plus dealing with pain from the incision area but I trudged through and with the help of meds (never say no to the meds) was able to help out a little more by day 3 at the hospital. Poor mr. sushinut did an amazing job taking care of both nuggets on his own with limited help from the nurses those first few days...and continues to prove to be super dad :) Finally when we were released on day 4 from the hospital, me feeling better with my recovery and the nuggets on their way to being jaundice free, we were never happier to head to home sweet home.
Week 2: The nuggets snuggle into their new home.
This week wasn't quite as bad as "baby bootcamp" but mr. sushinut and I were still getting through the kinks. Luckily my mother in law decided to stay with us this week. Unfortunately she turned out to have not as much stamina as she promised to. Or should I say hoped to. She slept through each night feeding and basically tends to be there to just hold babies rather than helping out throughout the house. Not to mention she doesn't seem to do dishes, pick up after herself or know the use of a coaster. Seriously I'm not that much of a control neat freak but seriously? Help people...do not hinder? Not that I'm really complaining. Any help is better than none. But I find it ironic how people tend to promise the world and not be realistic as to what they are capable of doing. Never-the-less mr. sushinut and I fall into a pattern of me taking the 10p - 4a shift and him taking the 4a - 10a shift. Six hours of sleep? Not too shabby for new born twins! At the same time though I am dealing with the negative post trauma of pregnancy on my body. Still re-cooperating from the surgery the pain is not so bad anymore, but I've some how managed to gain a ginormous amount of bloat in my ankles and feet (which even during pregnancy I didn't have) causing a severe case of franken foot. Not to mention during this second week I some how managed to pick up some eye infection at the hospital causing me to only wear my glasses and have a big red crusty eye to boot. Not the most elegant state I've been in I must admit.
Week 3:
Week 3 is much better with me some how conquering the old "how to feed to screaming hungry babies at one time - guess that plan of getting them on the same schedule was ideal in hind sight except when they actually are on the same schedule and you're all alone and they both want to eat NOW". And even figure out how to burp both at the same time. Let's just say it's a complex combination of strategically placing babies and car seats. Need I say more. More time with the in-laws ensues and thus the challenge of me working on my patience with too many people hanging around my house, snacking, visiting and working the babies into a frenzy. Did I mention these people aren't big on coasters? And why do they look at me like I'm a nut case when I ask them to remove their hot cup of tea from my beautiful mahogany coffee table? Yes, I know the kids will ruin it eventually ... but please at least give THEM a chance! Still very limited on the breast milk but not giving up quite yet. Even breaking out the special breast milk tea that the lactation consultants suggested. Now if I only had time to have a cup of tea myself!
Stay tuned...

6 comments:
Gorgeous picture. It sounds like you two are doing a bang-up job adapting to life with two more. I'm sorry the the guests aren't doing more to help and hope they at least stop hindering.
You probably already read many mom of multiple blogs, but if you need another, a friend of mine has b-g twins, born last August. http://www.mommyesq.com/ She's pretty honest about the realities and may have some useful tips. (She's all about the schedule, and I've witnessed the simultaneous feedings -- the bouncy seat and the boppy got much use.)
Hey there! Thanks for the nice long comment on my blog. It was SO great to hear from YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First of all, thank you for the validation on the pumping, the bottle feeding, etc. I realized this afternoon that even if Jack would nurse, I wouldn't be able to handle it. The best we can hope for is pumping and bottle feeding it to them. How in the world would I ever nurse them both? And be sure they were gaining and getting all they needed?
I actually have been trying to pump for the past two hours, but keep getting interrupted by one of the two boys. I finally broke out the Snugli so I could mix some formula for tonight.
And the house guests! DH and I decided that if it was just him and I, and we didn't have the kids, we would be having a rocking week. But because we want to spend time with our boys, all these guests just get in the way. And I hear ya on the not helping. Good friends are supposed to wash dishes or mow your yard so YOU can tend to the baby. Hang in there! And always vent to me!
Love the picture of their little hands! I'll be honest, for us, the first 4 months were a blur. It was tough, but we also had a toddler.
Do you have any boppy pillows? Worked great during feeding and napping time for my twins, just an idea.
Wonderful picture, and you are just doing so GREAT, mom! Keep up the good work! Wonderful Job! I am so proud of you...how you can do this with twins is baffling. I hope that you get some very useful help around the house..hopefully some friend or relative will be ready to whip that place into shape so that you can sit, relax, sleep, or enjoy those babies! One little bit of assvice..ask for the exact help that you need...tell them you'd like for them to straighten up the house..simply b/c it'd make you feel better! This is the only chance in your life where you get a FREE PASS to be as demanding as you'd like. USE YOUR FREE PASS.
I love the picture!
As far as the schedule, it will get easier as they get a little older. Then you will be glad they are on the same schedule.
I hope you will speak up to your in-laws. The best advise someone gave me, is if someone offers to help, get them working on the household stuff while you take care of the babies. Be in charge and don't be scared to speak up. Easier said than done I know, but I agree with Fiddle, use your free pass.
It sounds like you're adjusting well. Your idea of shifts during the night is so great. You're getting MUCH more sleep in a row than I did for maybe the first 3 months... OY.
Good luck with the in-laws. It can be challenging, I know, but you're doing a very good thing by allowing them to be a part of this really special time in the babies lives. (Keep telling yourself that, because lord knows, no one else probably will!)
I love, love, love the picture. You'll cherish that one forever.
Post a Comment