First off....nope no sushi nuggets yet. Can you believe it, my counter says 10 days left. Holy Crap! Can that be right? This time around I haven't updated because I've had so much going on that I just haven't had time.
I am now 35+ weeks. I've been having what I call my "stressful" non-stress tests twice a week since last week. The first time I went in we experienced major stress because Baby Girl sushi nugget's heart beat could not be found. Seriously the tech tried for about a half hour, with me getting more and more concerned every minute. Finally we went in for an ultrasound and the doctor found her way way at the bottom. I kept telling the tech that she was way down there but she just couldn't find it. Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwww.
The second non-stress test involved me getting there and instantly seeing a woman just bawling outside in the waiting room. You didn't have to tell me what happened there...been there done that many a time. It's obvious she just found out she lost her baby. It was all I could do in my hormonal state to not start bawling even harder for her. It's still such a sensitive matter for me and as we all say we'll hold on to those feelings forever. My husband quickly wheeled my wheelchair around the corner so she wouldn't be in sight. (That's right wheel chair...do to the fact that I have hurt my foot - more on that later and that I can't walk fast or much any more and that my doctor's office is clear on the other side of the hospital, I have to borrow a wheel chair each time I go in).
Each non-stress test involves a ton of goop put on on my stomach, with all my mega stretchmarks in full view and those scratchy darn Velcro straps all over me. Not to mention that it's freezing in that room so my stomach gets cold easily. It's like some new type of torture. And we've now come to the realization that Girl sushi nugget is way at the bottom and in the back so I end up holding that doppler against my stomach for about a 1/2 hour and getting hand cramps. Yes I know...there are worse things out there. And that's what I tell myself each time.
So far I've had no contractions during the tests and my fluid levels still look decent. But in this last appointment on Monday the doctor freaked us out by saying, "Well they could come any day now...twins often come around 35 weeks. If you haven't had them yet, we'll see you on Thursday." EXCUSE ME? DO YOU MEAN THIS THURSDAY??? AS IN A FREAKING COUPLE OF DAYS AWAY?! My husband and I were quite quiet on the way home and then we went into operation "GET IT DONE" mode. I started doing baby laundry like no one's business and he started making lists about what meals he was going to make and freeze. Since Monday (what was that yesterday?) we've gotten a lot done. We've at least attempted to start packing a hospital bag (I know, I'm not sure why this has been so difficult to do thus far...it should have been done weeks ago) and two of our 3 nursery pieces were delivered yesterday after me having a "talk" with the store last week after hearing a message on my cell with the comment from the sales girl "Good news! Your furniture will be here in about 3 weeks!" Uh, how is that good news if it's 3 weeks later than you promised. I DON'T THINK SO. So I pulled the "twins card and the I shopped at your store instead of a big store because I believe in supporting the small business owner and the in this economy you should really focus on making it convenient for your customers and not creating disappointment...if you know what I mean, card." And whalla! Crib and dresser are delivered on Monday. Seriously people...don't mess with a woman with hormones - that's the lesson here.
Let's see what else...oh on the work topic...I'm not sure who that woman was that posted that she felt guilty about quitting work two weeks out from her c-section date but I soon got over it when that weekend I ate some slightly more spicy food than I should have and had a horrible night. I felt lots of cramping, nausea and heart burn and feared I would go into labor that night. By the way, I totally believe that spicy foods brings on labor now - which I truly thought was a myth before. I do appreciate all your comments about not feeling guilty...that definitely helped too. I never thought about the fact that I should rest as much as possible before hand since I obviously won't have a chance after they come.
I called my doctor and told her I want my last day to be Friday and it was done. I was tired of getting all those creepy horror looks from people in the office that didn't know me anyways; like I was some person with three heads or something. Seriously people haven't you ever seen a person 8 months pregnant with twins? Which also reminds me I need to post some belly pictures. I've gone from "wow you're kinda small for having twins" to "yeah you look like you're ready to deliver any minute". How did that happen?
So as of this week I am free from work and it feels UNBELIEVABLE. Such a relief from the stress. All I do is nap, eat and put my feet up...in between freaking out and trying to get the babies room ready of course. But I can definitely feel the difference and am so happy I did it. It was the right thing for me.
And now...what are we feeling at this point? Well I'm feeling quite huge, can't walk much, and have somehow hurt my left foot. It's been like this for about a week now. It happened the day after my husband was giving me a foot massage and it felt like something was broken or sprained. Which is ironic because while he was giving me the massage it didn't hurt at all. Mr. sushinut kept on saying that it was just the pregnancy and that feet in pregnancy hurt all the time...but I kept on explaining that it was only one foot...why only one foot? I think he's coming around now when I show him how if I walk for awhile that one foot swells up a bit, and it hurts for me to put pressure on it. We asked the doctor if it's safe to get an X-ray on it and he said it was fine and won't harm the nuggets. But as soon as we asked, I swear it's been feeling better. It's the area on top of my foot right below my last 3 toes. Very strange...but it does seem to get better the more I have my foot up...so I'm trying that as best as I can before I ask for an X-ray...I have a feeling it's just a sprain or something because if it was broken I assume I wouldn't be able to walk at all on it.
Other than the foot issue, I've been seriously itchy...I think it's from dry skin or just plain stretching. I've been eating more...not sure if it's because I'm home or because I feel more hungry...but I still eat small meals often so I don't get nauseous. Sleeping at night proves to be a challenge because either they wake me up with their kicking our I get a sore hip from laying on my left side. But I can't change to my right side because I feel that they kick me more when I do not to mention I get more nauseous and feel out of breath when I sleep on that side. It seems like I enjoy shorter 2 hour naps during the day, which I guess is getting me prepared with what I'll be able to do when they get here. I get some what of a backache when I sit in one place for too long but that's been happening for awhile. My breasts still haven't gotten any bigger but are still sore from time to time each day. Let's face it...overall I just feel like a bull in a china shop.
So far we've done the following (this list is more for making me feel more prepared than anything): We've done our infant CPR class, I've taken a breast feeding class (extremely helpful by the way if you can find a good one and you haven't ever done this before...I feel much more confident), we currently just have one more "Baby Care" class to take this Thursday, which was helpful for both of us...especially mr. sushinut who's only held a baby like twice in his life. I especially like the class that went over all the medications etc. It's taught by a nurse so she's super knowledgeable. Car seats are installed. Stroller is in back trunk. Crib and dresser are setup. Bassinets are set up and ready in our bedroom. Most baby clothes are washed. Diapers are stacked in organizers all over the house. And an email explaining hospital hours and location information has been sent to family.
My goals for this week: Finish packing hospital bag, finish putting away all baby clothes. Dropping off a deposit to a day care...we are still pondering which one to use. Planting some spring flowers in front so when visitors come it looks welcoming. And getting my taxes done so the sushinuggets don't have a mom who's gone to jail. Well at least if I do go to jail my home looks springy with flowers outside. Right? Priorities, priorities. Yup it's official...I'm a mess.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I had that same fire lit up my ass when I was close to 35 weeks. I made it all the way to 37 weeks 5 days. I know the doctors say that as a precaution, but it definitely scared the crap out of me.
My goodness, it sounds crazy at your house.
Definitely pack your bag. Otherwise you risk having your husband bring stuff to the hospital for you, no fun.
I can't wait to meet the babies.
Seems like you're pretty with it to me! You don't seem like a mess. :) Everyone feels like they're the size of a house during their pregnancy at some point, but I guess with twins, you just get the pleasure of feeling that way earlier... Keep plugging! They're almost here!
NOW it sounds like full nesting mode has arrived! Just a quick, unsolicited comment..the best thing about breastfeeding class is that you've armed yourself. B/c BF will be harder than they told you in that class (at least it was the case for me..my teacher kept talking about how easy and natural it was, and it was NOT). But the fact that you took the class will make you that much more determined. Determination = successful breastfeeding. My dear, I am beyond excited for you. I know you are so overwhelmed that you probably don't know which way is up. I know once they arrive we'll hear a lot less from you. But do please keep us posted whenever possible!
I did wear my contacts during the surgery! No one asked me to take them out, and I didn't mention to them that I wore them. I'm certain it is allowed so that you CAN see your chilluns. I thought the exact same thing. you know, this is a product of us having the "other" surgery..the one where you go under, the d & c. But, my dear sushilover, this surgery is SO much different, so wonderful, so happy! I kept thinking about how different it felt to go back to that hospital to have my baby vs. 12 months earlier to loose a baby..and now when I pass the hospital, I'm so happy, no longer sad. I hope for a wonderful delivery experience for you. You know I was dreading the c-section, but it became such a wonderful event. Definitely bring the video cam...you'll be in such a haze (not drug-induced, emotional-induced) that watching it later on will be so special and will jog your memory. I'm telling you, it is like watching something happening to someone else when it is actually happening. Those babies will love being able to see it later on. Be sure to watch the video soon after and then, several weeks after..when your hormones have leveled off! I'm so very happy for you..
Oh, one other thing that someone told me before my c-delivery...if it is your preference, talk to the anesthesiologist and let him/her know that you'd like to be aware enough to breastfeed as soon as possible in recovery..therefore, you'd like not to be given anything to "relax" you after the delivery...sometimes they give you something to calm you down so it is easy to finish the surgery. And if you don't tell them otherwise, they just give it as a routine. I'll be waiting to hear..very excited!
Post a Comment