Tuesday, March 3, 2009

33 1/2 Week ponderings - to work or not to work

So...this post is going to be more about me than the sushi nuggets. Well in a way.

First off I seem to have issues with my upcoming leave from work. Today I realized that if I go by plan I have only this week and next week left of work and then I am supposedly supposed to take the 2 weeks prior to delivery off. Completely. I keep going back and forth on whether I should continue to work from home at that time or just cut cold turkey and feel completely guilty for leaving work. Yet I also feel completely guilty that if I don't take this time from work the nuggets may come early and it will be all because I've over done it. Sigh.

All signs seem to point to taking the 2 weeks before the planned c-section off but I just can't visualize myself not working. Not to mention poor mr. sushi nut is only working sporadically as a contractor due to a cut back in patients due to the economy. It just doesn't seem right to stop working. I know at the beginning I will be paid but later after birth this time prior to birth might edge into some of my pay.

At my last dr. appt. I asked the nurse about how the doctor does her note to ask for leave and start disability. She said, "You're not working still are you!???" I was like "Uh, actually I am but I am going to start working part time from home." She asked if the doctor was aware of this...and I said yes. She said it was almost unheard of for a woman carrying twins at that practice to be still working at all...home or not. Not to mention I'm increasingly uncomfortable...every single freakin minute! I was in a meeting this morning and couldn't barely get through the hour. I can't sit at my desk comfortably, I can't sleep comfortably at night...and therefore feel like taking a nap at home in the middle of the day but because I'm trying to keep up with my work (both at home and in the office) I really don't have time for a nap mid day. If I were completely off work I obviously would. I can't really walk comfortably...just getting in the car is a chore. Getting ready for work is a chore. And carrying my heavy laptop from home to work is a chore.

Earlier this evening it just hit me...I will be having 2 little babies in hand in the near future if all goes right. How did I get here? Me, the work-a-holic will have to leave all behind to take care of them. Don't get me wrong...once on leave I usually leave work behind quite easily. It's just the first few steps that are the hardest. Am I crazy? Or has anyone else felt like this? Is taking the last 2 weeks before your c-section while pregnant with twins completely selfish? Or am I obviously completely out of whack with my perspectives? I always thought maternity leave was a god send...like you are having a baby and it's completely beyond your control as to whether you need to leave or not...but in this case...I just might be able to extend things a little longer? Or would I? This is the risk I would take. Sigh.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taking 2 weeks before your c-section is not selfish. You need that time! You'll never get it back again either!! :) Don't feel guilty, do what you need to do.

Take care - Cyndi

Nicky said...

Take the time off! I was "only" carrying one baby, but I still needed to stay home from work for the last two weeks before my due date. Naps are really important to get your strength up before the babies come! By the time they arrive, you want to have a store of energy, and that'll only happen if you take it easy a bit before they're born.

Good luck!

areyoukiddingme said...

I had only one and I worked right up until the weekend before I delivered. It's all up to you. If it's too much work to work, then you should relax and prepare for the babies. You will completely underestimate the exhaustion factor, so a couple weeks of rest might be very useful. Good luck!

A said...

I don't think I'm a good influence in this area, because at just about a week behind you, I am still working 1/2 days at the office. Each week, my doctor blesses me for one more week of work. It's like we're taking it a week at a time.

I would go crazy with two weeks at home and nothing to do, but maybe that's because I'm already home half days anyway....

Lucky you gets to plan her section. My OB said today he's just going to wait for me to go into labor, unless I hit the 38-week wall, and then we'll talk. So, sounds like I will get to enjoy BOTH the pain of at least early labor and the recovery from a section. Lovely!

Carrie27 said...

Mother of almost 6 month old twins here, TAKE THE LEAVE!!! You need all that time to be prepared and stress free before those babies flip your life upside down.

Fiddle1 said...

I hope other commenters here are moms of twins and can give you guidance. but i will tell you that i worked up to two days prior to delivery and it made no difference to me after she was here what i got done and what i did not. but, then again, i never planned to return. I felt some guilt b/c i didn't accomplish one thing I hoped to, but now it matters not ONE BIT at all. unless you must accomplish something before you go to make things easier when you return, i honestly would advise you to take at least the week before off. There is no sense in you being uncomfortable..you really will need your strength after they come.

LuckyOnce said...

I only had one, and you sound like you're MUCH more uncomfortable than I was when I left work. My two cents is that I wish I had worked longer. (I was going stircrazy.) I had about 2 1/2 weeks before my delivery but my cervix was dialating and the doctor thought I might go early. (NOT!) Then again, if I had stayed another week it would have been 4th of July, and it would have been a short, easy week for me. It sounds like you might want to consider keeping with your original plan, considering how uncomfortable you are.

Meg said...

I think you should do and will know soon what is right for you. The demands of your work and the demands of your doctor's office really sound like they are pulling you....soon enough you will know when to stop and you will go back when you are ready. Back to work as a mama of two!

Fiddle1 said...

OMG. No new post. I'm so excited for you. Are you still pregnant? Can it actually be possible that you will be having these babies in the next few days??? It seems like last week, seriously, that you made your wish and hung it on that tree!!!!! I am thinking about you and Mr. Sushinut. It won't be long before you are scarfing down the REAL sushi!!!