Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Working My Way Through the Amnio Decision

You guys rock. Completely rock. Thanks for all the info everyone posted on my last post. Every little story helps. I found a bunch of new message board postings about women who successfully had amnio with twins and was happy they did it. Even one woman who lost her first pregnancy (a healthy one and singleton) with a first amnio, got pregnant again with twins and had it done again...this time nothing happened. Now that woman has BALLS. And in the end she said she was happy she did it and had a peace of mind. Of course there is the occasional really sad story of loss too.

Now this doesn't mean that I have made up my mind, but it certainly helps to know that it's more of a luck of draw rather than just the twins factor.

With that said I've started taking some steps just in case I do want to have it done. In the end I may change my mind. My heart says no, my brain says yes. It's going to be a battle to the end.

I called the hospital where I am supposed to have it...same place I had my screening test done. My ob said I should book an appt. immediately because the good doctors get booked quickly. So my amnio if I choose to go through with it, will be at 17 weeks on Nov. 10th at 9a. They say 17 weeks is most ideal because there's sometype of lining or something that is for sure completely formed then. I can't remember what they called it. I'm calling it "A" day. Rather than "D"-day.

I originally requested the dr. who did the ultrasound part of my screening because they say he's the best...but they said for amnios they are done by this other doctor (who I also heard was very good). I questioned why and they said that the second dr. does more per year. Whereas the ultrasound dr. focuses more on the scans and doesn't do as many. I questioned how many per year he does because I've researched that your dr. should do at least around the 200/per year ...rather than say 50/per year. They said he did about 250/per year. So that figures out to be about 7/per week. Which I think makes for someone who knows his stuff. Of course I wasn't bold enough to ask how many he loses in a year.

I then asked about the genetic counseling. They said when I come in I'll do counseling first and then if I choose to I'll have the amnio. I am a little uneasy about taking in all that info at once and having to make a decision immediately but maybe since it will be fresh in my mind and won't give me a chance to chicken out and seek out dr. google it would be for the best. Still thinking it over if I want to request earlier counseling. My next ob appt. is next Friday. I'm going to ask her more about further testing like the triple screen etc. but from what I'm reading it's more generic testing that really has a lot of false positives. Which is not what I need at this point.

My next plan of action is to rent a doppler. Because if I'm going to do this, I'm going to need to be a total control freak and scan for heart beats on an hourly basis after I have this done. I'm already planning to take two days off if I do go through with it. My appt. is at 9a. I'll go straight home and be on bedrest for the rest of the day. And same with the following day.

My question to you guys is if you recommend a site to rent dopplers and any advice you have. So far I have looked at Heart Tones...and they look pretty reasonable. I think I want one that shows the heart beat count so that I can tell which twin is which. And make sure I'm not confusing either one with my own.

5 comments:

Fiddle1 said...

I used heartbeats at home, which is reasonable and rents both types of dopplers. I did hear that you can acutally buy them now, so if you don't want to rent, you can buy and then re-sale. It ends up being a better deal, but you may not want to mess with that. You'll be able to tell the difference between yours and their heartbeats easily, but maybe not between the two of them.

It sounds as though you are working your way through your decision in a very thoughtful, deliberate manner, and I applaud you. It is a tough situation, and I am sure it will be a struggle until it is made and even after. That heart vs. head thing is always tough.

I also really understand your reluctance to buy things for the babies. I know the fear can be crippling. So you just take your time and do whatever you need to do to get through each day. I hope, and I really think, the day will eventually come where you can enjoy the pregnancy without fear. The worry will always be there. But the enjoyment will increase as you get further along. hearing those heartbeats may just be the ticket you need. I did not buy anything until after the gender determination at 20 weeks. Somehow seeing her unleashed me from the fear. Just go easy on yourself. There is no one judging you. There is no reason to feel guilty or behind. It is a long process, and you are handling it beautifully.

Ms. Planner said...

I have no comment on the Doppler b/c I did not rent one.

BUT I hope you get the best freaking doctor in town for your amnio. I had a CVS and it was stressful emotionally but I felt so much better knowing that I had the best doc in town doing it.

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I've just discovered your blog...so first off, many congrats on your pregnancy. As for the genetic testing....what a tough decision. I'm in a similar boat - 13 weeks pregnant with twins and due to have my NT scan tomorrow morning. I was totally against the amnio but for the ultrasound, but my OB advised me to re-think. She said that if I was dead against the amnio and the NT scan showed a high risk, then it would only serve to add stress to my pregnancy. I can't say that I came to any conclusions about the amnio....but I just felt strongly that I wanted the scan (despite its false positives and problems). Not sure how we will face the next decision if we need to make it.....
Anyway, best of luck to you in your decision making.

A said...

My OB says the spotting is probably from sex (which we haven't had) or standing too much. He thinks its coming from the cervix, not uterus, and thinks it will be gone by week 16 or even 14 based on what I've been describing. He didn't seem too concerned.

Thanks for the concern, and for telling me about your clot.

The maternity clothes are from Sears (jacket, striped t, and tunic) and Motherhood (sweater and white/black blouse). I'm having such a hard time finding things I like. But the twins are starting to pop out now, so I definitely need the extra space!

Elana Kahn said...

I personally won't have an amnio, no matter what my test results come back as. Even though my mom had an amnio done when she was pregnant with me, I'm just too nervous to take the risk. Now this doesn't mean that everyone should forego this test, but that it's just not for me.