Wednesday, September 17, 2008

9 Weeks 4 Days - Ultrasound Update

Has it really been that long since I posted? I guess so... I honestly would have sooner but I think I relaxed a bit too much on vacation and don't seem to have enough energy to even post on my blog!

I do want to thank everyone who posted advice on the the altitude information I requested, it seriously was a great help.

So in order to move everything along I think I'll just recap in bullet points what's happened since my last post.

Here goes:
  • All ready to go on vacation and on the last Friday of work I slipped and fell (on basically nothing - I guess that balance thing about pregnant women is right) on my way back from lunch. I didn't feel like I really fell hard and caught myself with my hand rather than landing on my stomach, but felt like I sort of stretched out my abdomen a little (or maybe that's the lack of exercise I was feeling the burn from). Picture an emergency downward dog yoga position if you will. Carefully checked to see if there was any spotting or cramping all afternoon long...none. Fast forward to 3a that night...light red period like bleeding (again) and blood clots (again!). Was it the fall? Or coincidence? Called the RE and luckily he was in on Saturday (I guess there were a lot of emergencies that day). Told me to come in for a quick ultrasound. I can now be referred to as the woman who cried blood clot. And apologized to the dr. for doing so. He said it's completely understandable. Ultrasound still showed two heart beats plus the lovely blood clot. Diagnosis was that the fall jostled something (like the clot) and that's why I bled. Immediately stopped bleeding by that morning but was told to again limit my physical activity. Luckily I was leaving for vacation the next morning.

  • Left for my 5-6 hour drive on our trip to the mountains. My role in the trip? Stopping at every bathroom location for a pee break and to stretch my legs and reading aloud each posting of the elevation. I now know exactly what elevation each city is from my home and about 300 miles north of me. Interesting material...never really bothered to notice before. By the way the town we passed through and ate dinner at a few times was about 7,500 ft. and the town we stayed at was about 7,600 ft. Although I felt we were going downhill a lot when getting to the resort so I would estimate the exact resort elevation was probably around 7,500 ft. Which by the way is exactly where I stayed practically the whole 5 days.

  • My vacation consisted of feeling nauseous, sucking on ginger drops, eating tiny meals and sleeping...repeat. Oh except for the day that I went and got a pregnancy massage, which I highly recommend to all. Oh and a couple of times I went to watch mr. sushinut do things like kayaking and fishing but only in between nap times. It was pure bliss to say the least. I never really felt out of breath (after all napping is certainly not an out of breath sport) but was careful to watch that the altitude wasn't affecting me. Which it seemed not to.

  • Came home and vegged some more. Obviously since my suitcase is STILL not unpacked. More nausea with some added acid reflux type of sensations once in a while...still no vomiting.

  • Yesterday - had 9 week ultrasound appt. God I hate these. I'm probably the only woman on earth that does. I get so nervous I get more nauseous than I already feel (if that's possible). Again, making sure the tissues are in the pocket...dark sunglasses in purse. Ultra sound showed two heartbeats still and slight movement in both. And one even waved at us with it's little paw! It was awesome. We talked a bit about genetic testing (another post to be written) and talked about handing me off to my obgyn. I am to call for an appt. with her in two weeks. If she's not available I'm to see my RE again, until I can see her. My dr. gave me a hug and everyone told me to keep them updated. I felt a mixture of happiness and sadness. Oh and only a couple of days more to go of the progesterone! Yay!

  • Immediately when I got back from my appt. I get a call from my rheumatologist who noted before I left on vacation that my white blood cell count was high and asked if I had a urinary tract infection. At that point I thought I did and was on antibiotics (for the second time) but later found out that for the second time my results came back negative. I took the white blood cell count test again when I came back from vacation and yesterday morning they called to tell me it's still elevated at 15.3 (normal is 3-10). So my happiness was short lived with my ultrasound and I'm now freaking out about this. Dr. google says this can be usual or something suspect with an infection. But each time they've tested for an urinary tract infection it comes back negative! My fear is of course that it's something terrible but I read that often times this is usual with pregnant women. My plan is to call my RE this morning for his input and then call my GP as suggested by my rheumatologist to give me some additional tests. If anyone has had any experience with this issue I'd love to know about...

Again...it wouldn't be my blog...if there weren't enough drama going around. Sigh.

Hope all is well with everyone.

6 comments:

Mel said...

Thanks for the update! You'd been in my thoughts this week. Really happy to hear you had a great vacation...that's my kind of get-away!

I'm glad that all is OK with the roomies. I'm sorry I don't have any advice on the elevated WBC count, but it sounds like your RE is fantastic and really on-top of your care.

And yippeee for almost being done with the progesterone. Hang in there...and keep us posted. :)

Fiddle1 said...

i've been checking every day and thought maybe your vacation was a long one. time is going really quickly. i'm so happy to hear both babies are doing well. i hope that your team of doctors gets to the bottom of that wbc count. i know it has to be a source of worry for you. take good care of yourself...this is the time for you to really let everything go unless it is absolutely necessary. don't feel guilty..and leave that suitcase packed for two months if you want!

Newt said...

I'm so thrilled to hear things are well with the sushibabies, and nine weeks! They have little paws! I think that's awesome.

Hope the WBC thing resolves itself and stops worrying you. I have a really good feeling that everything is going to be great with your little twins.

Rachel said...

I'm happy the twins are still doing well.

I had the UTI problem while I was pregnant with LG and had to go on the antibiotics too. One docs office said I had it another didn't. It was annoying. I hope they figure out what is going on.

docgrumbles said...

I hope those little hearts keep beating and you get more waves from both in the future!

Meg said...

I would have also totally cried blood clot.

So happy you had a wonderful vacation.....sounds like some much needed resting for you and cooking time for the babies. I can totally relate to the happy/sad goodbye to the RE. I am kind of dreading thsi when and if it happens.

I hope the WBC thing is no big deal.

So many things in this post!