Monday, May 12, 2008

The Dreaded Mother's Day Behind Me

Oh what a relief to wake this morning with the dreaded "Mother's Day" behind me. Last year at this time we had cleverly wrapped up two silver frames (one for each mom) with a copy of my ultrasound picture in each one with the title "coming December '07". Because after all when you hear the heart beat you are pretty much free and clear right? Right? One would think.

And so I had heard the heart beat at my 7 week appt. and thought...we've got to be safe to at least tell the parents...nothing crazy like the boss or random strangers out there but at least the parents. Right?

Uh no such luck. It was later calculated that the baby's heartbeat stopped at about 7.5 weeks. Ironically just about the same time we told our parents the exciting news.

A bitter sweet mother's day you could say...

Hopefully there is a better one coming my way next year...

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm glad you made it through.

Hearing the heartbeat is a wonderful thing, until you realize it can stop again. I am so sorry you had to go through that.

BTW I have no idea if you still read my blog, but when you posted a due date of Dec. 07, I realized your baby should be the same age as LG. I'm going to keep checking in here, but if seeing pictures of him on my blog bothers you, I'm sorry.

Meg said...

I hate that you had to go through that and get the "reassurance" that there was a heartbeat. I remember being told to go home and relax and that 9 times out of 10, a heartbeat means a baby!

I imagine you and I will each be in labor and then begin telling people we are expecting!!! I am so unsure of a safe time to share the news.

I was thinking about you on Sunday. Sucky day for sure.

K @ ourboxofrain said...

I hate knowing that a heartbeat does not guarantee a healthy baby. I also hate that anyone else has to know that.

I too hope that next year brings a much more celebratory day.

Dr. Grumbles said...

With my last one, I handed my mom a mini photo album with u/s pics in it. Just like you, I was pretty sure I was in the clear with a verified hb. I wasn't. It stopped the day after the u/s apparently.

Being on the wrong side of the statistics really stinks!!!